One of only two Livery Halls in the Ward of Aldersgate (the other being Ironmongers' Hall - Click Here for more information), Plaisterers' is the largest Hall in the City. Its internal architecture is based on the neo-classical style created by Robert Adam in the 18th century. Some of Adam's original moulds for plaster and wood were used in the construction. The three chandeliers in the Great Hall are purpose made and each is approximately twelve feet high and eight feet in diameter.
The original Plaisterers' Hall was built in Addle Street (just the other side of Brewers' Hall in the Ward of Bassishaw) in 1556, but was burned to the ground three times (1666, 1882 and 1940). The present Hall at 'One London Wall', was only built in 1972. In 2001 it closed for redevelopment, not opening again until 2004 in its ultra-modern setting.
At the front of the building, are some well-tended remains of the original Roman London Wall that encircled the City. This part of the wall is preserved in the state in which it was left after WW2 bombing.
The Hall is used a great deal for private functions and more information on hiring this venue is available by clicking the button below:
The Worshipful Company of Plaisterers is 46th in order of precedence and received its first Royal Charter in 1501.
The Plaisterers' Company was one of the original eight Companies who conceived the founding of the City & Guilds of London Institute. Sadly, since the 1990s, C&G craft certificates in all aspects of Plastering have now given way to the modern NVQ system of qualification.
Further information on the Livery Company can be found by clicking the button left.